2006 Oakley Big Air
2006 Oakley Big Air 5 month challenge kicks off 1 April
Surfersvillage Global Surf News, 31 March, 2006 : - - The Oakley Big Air powered by Zigzag is a five-month challenge to find the South African surfers who can successfully pull off the most radical surfing aerials, the only criteria is that the airs must be captured on film. Any photo sequence or video clip submitted to Zigzag will be considered, provided that it was captured and entered during the contest period.
The event starts on 01 April 2006 and runs until 31 August 2006. Winners will be announced in September and the winning entries will be featured in the October issue of Zigzag surfing magazine.
Entries can be submitted to : - E-mail entries: OakleyBigAir@zigzag.co.za
- Postal entries: Oakley Big Air, c/o Zigzag, P O Box 208, Umgeni Park, 4098.
Only South African surfers are eligible for entry and a shot at the prize money, however the biggest air is not restricted to SA waters and could come from anywhere around the globe.
Suggested, revised prize breakdown:
1. R30 000 award for the biggest unassisted aerial, R10 000 to the photographer.
2. R30 000 awarded for the biggest assisted aerial, R10 000 to the photographer.
3. R10 000 product award for the biggest air by a grom, R5 000 product for the photographer.
Notes on prize allocation:
- The unassisted category is for a surfer who paddles into a wave without any form of assistance.
- For the assisted category, a surfer may use a Waverunner (Jetski) to tow at or into waves.
- For the Grommet Air, the entrants must be 15 years old or younger on 01 January 2006.
A panel consisting of Zigzag editorial staff, independent surfers and ASP representatives will judge submissions. Although the final outcome is subjective, the judges decision will be final.
Criteria and Photographic Evidence
The objective of the Oakley Biggest air is for surfers to pull off the MOST RADICAL airs as judged by the nominated panel of judges. The criteria is very broad, however the panel will be looking for huge futuristic, progressive and technical boosts. Note that aerials that are very high and suit the above criteria can win the prize in each category.
In all cases, strapped-in airs will not be permitted for submission as entries. Entries are only open to stand up surfboard riders. Kiteboard, skimboard, wakeboard, bodyboard or other related watersports on boards will not be accepted for entry into the Oakley Big Air 2006.
Photographic evidence for all submissions must show the launch of the air as well as the successful landing to be eligible, sequence shots and video clips will be most suitable for submission.
Get to surf with the Oakley team at the Oakley Big Day Outs.The Oakley Big Day outs will happen on the following dates at these venues:
4 April 2006 - Surfers, Ballito,
5 April 2006 - Main Beach, Margate,
17 May 2006 - Big Bay, Cape Town,
26 May 2006 - East London
Zig Zag Mag
Airshows - Surfersvillage