All possiblilites explored for Mick Fanning's maiden title
Surfersvillage Global Surf News, 17 October, 2007 : - - Foster's ASP World Tour Title Scenarios going into the Hang Loose Santa Catarina Pro are the following:
- If Mick Fanning wins in Brasil he clinches the World Title.
- If Mick gets 2nd, Taj Burrow needs to win the event and Kelly Slater is out of the World Title race.
- If Mick gest 3rd, Taj needs a 2nd and Kelly is out of the race.
- If Mick gets 5th, Taj needs a 3rd and Kelly needs a 1st.
- If Mick gets 9th, Taj needs a 5th and Kelly needs a 2nd.
- If Mick gets 17th, Taj needs a 9th and Kelly needs a 3rd.
- If Mick gets 33rd, Taj needs a 9th and Kelly needs a 3rd.
Please note that in all scenarios above, both Taj Burrow and Kelly Slater will need to win the Billabong Pipeline Masters as well, even if Mick Fanning gets a 33rd in Hawaii.
Kelly and Taj will need to count with a 17th or 33rd finish from Mick in Brasil and placed as high as possible in the same event, Taj higher than a 9th and Kelly higher than a 3rd - to be in better "World Title Range" (not needing a win) going into Hawaii. E.g.: If Mick gets a 17th in Brasil and Taj a 5th, than with a second place in Hawaii Taj would win the title if Mick gets a 17th or worse at Pipe.
Title race - Surfersvillage