Festivities officially begin at the Museum of Contemporary Art on Thursday
Surfersvillage Global Surf News, 3 May, 2016 - Spanning 11 days, the San Diego Surf Film Festival is one of the largest of it's kind in the world and this year will feature 20 World Premiere films amongst it's 40 plus films.
The 5th annual event kicks off Wednesday, May 18th with the filmmaker/VIP Party at the new Misfit Pictures HQ in La Jolla (the hub and filmmaker lounge for this year's event). VIPs will get a chance to peruse the art gallery at Misfit Pictures HQ while chatting amongst industry persons and press.
Festivities officially begin at La Jolla's Sherwood Auditorium at the Museum of Contemporary Art San Diego (MCASD) on Thursday, May 19th with the Opening Night program which includes; music from local phenoms the Millionaire Beach Bums, a tribute to surf filmmaking pioneer Bud Browne featuring Anna Trent Moore curator of the Bud Browne Film Archives, and recent Newport Beach Film Festival record breaker for highest grossing film ever at their festival "Dirty Old Wedge" which tells the story of Newport Beach's famous bodysurfing spot The Wedge.
The remaining film screenings of the festival will be at Misfit Pictures HQ, UCSD's Price Center Theater and MCASD in La Jolla. *Please visit website for complete film schedule.
In addition to the film portion of the festival we will have the following:
- May 20th & 21st - Retro Cinema with Bud Browne Film Archives curator Anna Trent Moore and special screenings of Bud's earlier and less seen movies. *At Misfit Pictures HQ.
- Saturday, May 21st - Plein Air Art and Surf Invitational curated by 2013 SDSFF featured artist Matt Beard. Located on the Northside of Scripps Pier from 9am-1pm.
- May 22nd - May 24th are "Celebrate San Diego" Days, in which we geared the days to hanging out and enjoying the glory that San Diego has to offer.
- Sunday, May 22nd - Beach clean-up with H2O Trash Patrol at La Jolla Shores from 9am-Noon.
- Sunday, May 22nd - Post beach clean-up Expression Session (surf/swim) at La Jolla Shores from 10:30am-1pm.
- Monday, May 23rd - Full moon surf session on the Northside of Scripps Pier, presented by NVS, from 10pm-Midnight. *Experienced surfers only.
- Tuesday, May 24th – Sea glass collecting at local La Jolla beach and treasure crafting at Misfit Pictures HQ. *Great for kids, sea glass hunter or anyone crafty.
- May 26th & 27th – 2016 SDSFF featured artist Damian X Fulton will be creating a live mural at Misfit Pictures HQ from Noon-2pm both days.
- May 27th & 28th – Filmmaker and Author Doug Walker will be on hand to sign his first book "Lost & Found", based on his award winning movie LOST & FOUND (2011). A limited number of books will be available for purchase. 2-4pm on Friday and 1-3pm on Saturday.
- May 28th – 2016 Awards Ceremony at MCASD in La Jolla from 9:30-11:30pm.