Coastal Edge Steel Pier Classic & Surf Art Expo
Virginia Beach, Virginia
24 - 26 May 2014
Billabong presents the Coastal Edge Steel Pier Classic
Surfersvillage Global Surf News, 10 May, 2014 - Virginia Beach - Billabong presents the Coastal Edge Steel Pier Classic & Surf Art Expo this Memorial Day Weekend, May 24-26 in Virginia Beach, Va, according to the Virginia Longboard Federation (VLF), the producers and organizers of the Steel Pier Classic (SPC).
Both the professional Men’s and Women’s longboard contests will offer cash purses, including a $5,000 men’s division; the women’s purse will be announced closer to the event. In addition, a $5,000 Men’s pro shortboard contest will be part of the event. Also, new for this year, there will be a pro noseriding competition, with purse to be determined.
“For 11 years, surfers and fans have come to expect the high caliber competition, unsurpassed judging and unique community spirit at this event,” said Mary Knight, president of the Virginia Longboard Federation (VLF). “From year one we were committed to those principles and after a decade, it’s still what the Steel Pier Classic is known for.”
"We consider the Coastal Edge Steel Pier Classic & Surf Art Expo presented by Billabong as the kick-off to the summer surf season in Virginia Beach,” said D. Nachnani, president of local surf wear retailer Coastal Edge. “Local fans, competitors and returning visitors know that this event drips salt water.”
“This year will host an all-star cast of personalities who’ll be attending,” said Ken Hunt, mid-Atlantic sales representative for Billabong/RVCA/VZ brands. Names like VonZipper Sunglasses founder Greg ‘GT’ Tomlinson and actor Jason “Wee Man” Acuna and RVCA’s Hawaiian surfing legend Makua Rothman. Also, Billabong team riders, former world champ, Mark “Occy” Occhilupo and Keala Kennely will be here, Hunt said. “It’ll be unrivaled by any East Coast action sports event this year.”
More than 400 amateur and professional surfers from all over the United States are expected to compete in this three day surfing contest; pro division surfers in Men’s and Women’s longboard and Men’s shortboard will compete for prize purse.
Proceeds benefit the Virginia Gentleman Foundation’s charitable works in the community, including the building of “Camp Grom,” a camp that will serve special needs children and disabled veterans, and the Children’s Hospital of the King’s Daughters.
“For 11 years, Longboard Federation volunteers, the surfers and their families and friends have celebrated the roots of surfing through art and sport,” Knight said. “This year, Coastal Edge and Billabong are strong supporters of this Memorial Day tradition.” Other key sponsors this year include clothing manufacturer RVCA, and sunglass brand VonZipper (VZ).
Details for this year’s Steel Pier Classic weekend: Saturday, May 24 through Monday, May 26, 2014 TIMES: Vendors/Surfing starts at 7 a.m.; Art show activities begin at 10 a.m. Activities continue until 6 p.m. Saturday and Sunday; Monday, until 5 p.m.
• Appearances and Autograph sessions scheduled to appear: VZ founder Greg ‘GT’ Tomlinson, and actor Jason “Wee Man” Acuna from “Jackass” movie and TV show, and RVCA’s Hawaiian surfing legend Makua Rothman; Billabong team riders: former world champ, Mark “Occy” Occhilupo and Keala Kennely, star of the film “Blue Crush.” Saturday, May 24, 1:30 p.m.
• Free Heat Press – VZ Hats, Billabong Tees in their respective tents: 1:30 p.m.
• Tandem Surfing – this returning amateur event is a real crowd-pleaser Days/Times TBA.
• Billabong Tow-at – (watercraft assisted big air wave jumps) "Battle Royale" schedule TBA both will be signing autographs at the main surfing area.
• SUP – Stand-up Paddle Surf competition and SUP race continues to be a HUGE growing sport – 2.5 and 5 mile courses; schedule TBA
• Hawaiian Dancers – Copeland Mills School of the Arts performs traditional dances Sunday, May 25, 1:30 p.m., in front of the surf scaffolding
• 5K Run – Inaugural 5k run 8 a.m. 10th Street boardwalk Sunday, May, 25
• Billabong GromFest –Saturday, May 24, 11 a.m. sharp! Special under 12 years surfer division (free entry, but limited to 125 entries; every participant will receive a free Billabong Lycra jersey).
• RVCA Student Art Show on the Beach – Featuring surf-themed artwork from all Virginia Beach high schools. Prizes will be awarded.
• Hawaiian-style Paddle Out – scheduled for Noon on Memorial Day, Monday, May 26. This traditional ceremony is held annually at SPC honors fallen US soldiers of ongoing military operations in Iraq, Afghanistan and elsewhere. Prayer will be led by Father Rob Cole of St. John The Apostle Catholic Church.
• Luau at Coastal Edge – to kick off the weekend. Food, drink, live music by Jessie Chong. Friday, May 23, 4-7 p.m. RVCA / Billabong / VZ Fashion Show by Kellam High School.
EVENT IS OPEN TO THE PUBLIC.
• No admission fee for spectators; contestant fees for each surf division entered (surfing entry deadlines: May 20, 5 p.m.)
• Works of art, food, refreshments and T-shirts for sale to public.
Virginia Beach Surf Art Expo — In 2008, a surf art component was added to the Steel Pier Classic and the event officially became known as the Steel Pier Classic & Surf Art Expo. Now in its seventh year, this unique art show produced by local sponsorship agency Sponsorships Unlimited features the creations of professional artists like Matt Haddaway, Lisa Ashinoff, Ed Obermeyer, Patricia DeHart, Reba McConnell along the boardwalk near the First Street Jetty at the Oceanfront.
RVCA Student Art Show on the beach, an art show showcasing the creative works of students in every Virginia Beach high school is now twice as large as in past years. Corporate sponsors are supporting the student art show component.
Each Virginia Beach high school enters a team to design a blank pair of Vans shoes; prizes will be awarded for first through sixth place. RVCA is known for uniquely combining art, music and fashion.
The VLF is a nonprofit organization. Proceeds from this annual event will support the Virginia Gentlemen Foundation and the Children’s Hospital of the King’s Daughters.