The Hurley BL’s Blast Off
Hurley BL’s Blast Off
Whale Beach, Avalon Beach & Palm Beach
22- 25 September, 2014
Pocket Rockets Blast Off at Australia's Largest Grom Surf Festival
Surfersvillage Global Surf News, 12 October, 2014 - Hurley BL’s Blast Off presented by beecraft, Australia’s largest grommet event ended on all-time high, with the last day performances blowing judges and spectators away. Organiser, 1989 surf world champ, Barton Lynch was ecstatic.
He waq saying “Without question, this has been the best Blast Off so far… The waves were pumping every single day and the kids really turned it up this year putting on the best performances we’ve seen in the event’s 9 years history”.
“People of all ages, surfing or not, they come down to join the fun vibe on the beach. We’ve worked hard to create this all-inclusive program and we couldn’t be happier with its success.”
2015 will mark the tenth year of Hurley BL’S Blast Off, and organisers have some cool ideas for reinventing elements of the program. The event has really grown, with 360 kids taking to the water this year and over 100 more on the waitlist to participate. With that in mind, BL says next year they are looking to go with an early pre-registration and exciting changes to the format of the event. Watch this space!
- This 6 year old surfing and skating prodigy from the Gold Coast has become an internet/social media sensation – she’s even been contacted to appear on The Ellen Degeneres Show.
- Quincy is living up to the hype – She scored a perfect 10 in her final with a backhand tube ride!
- She first caught the eye of all the coaches when she ripped it up as one of the youngest participant in the Hurley BL Blast Off event last year at 5 years old.
- Quincy has Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia - she’ll be on medication 3 times a day for the rest of her life to control it. Any injury or illness is dire, and broken bones would be major issues
- This Byron Bay boy has been in every Blast Off since its inception when he was just a small grom.
- This was his last year and he was stoked to go out with a win in the prestigious boys 14s division.
- BL was blown away with Kyuss’ performance, “He was so polished, his performance was way above his years. He is definitely a future world champion in the making”.
HURLEY’S NEWEST RECRUIT:
- Hurley have seen major potential in young gun, Winter Vincent, and have just added him to their rank of junior surf team riders.
- Winter is one day hoping to rise to the level of other international Hurley team riders such Julian Wilson, John John Florence and Ace Buchan.
- Winter is a 9 yr old kid from Manly who has recently done amazing things with and for the Hurley 20 program, raising nearly $US 3000 via fund raisers at his school, including raffling off a signed surfboard for the charity.
- In a couple of weeks time, he’ll be heading over to Indonesia with Hurley to support the initiative’s quest for clean drinking water in third world countries
- He is also an amazing young surfer who has had competitive success in Blast Off before and just won the 10s division at this year’s event
- Between his incredible surfing talent, his impressive humanitarian work and rad little personality and drive, Hurley believe he is an ideal fit for the brand.