NSSA Southwest Conference #3
National Scholastic Surfing Association
Seaside Reef, Cardiff by the Sea, San Diego
17 - 18 October 2015
Kade Matson and Tiara Thompson earn 'performers' awards
Surfersvillage Global Surf News, 22 October, 2015 - The Southwest Conference Open Season held the third event of the 2015-16 season October 17-18 at Seaside Reef in Cardiff by the Sea. 2-3 foot surf conditions were on offer for the two full days of competition on the third stop of the elite Open Season series.
Jordy Collins, who has been putting up a string of solid results with high performance and progressive surfing this season, posted his first win of the premier Open season series in the Mens final after taking a third place at event #2.
The victory will boost Collins to the top of the Open Mens leaderboard and he is also number one ranked in the Explorer Juniors. La Jolla's Tiare Thompson continues her impressive campaign in the Open Womens division sealing her third consecutive win.
San Clemente's Kade Matson has been on a tear in NSSA comp this season surfing in both the Open and Explorer series. He claimed his first victory of the Open Season this year with a win in the Juniors coupled with an outstanding runner-up finish in the Mens. He has also had a terrific run in the NSSA Explorer winning 5 events in that series.
The Southwest Conference Open Season is regarded as the leading competition for west coast surfers. Divisions are offered in Men's, Juniors, Boys, Mini Groms, Womens and Girls. This event was the third of 10 events in the Southwest Conference Open Season series. The NSSA Open Season is open to student surfers only.
Many thanks to the State of California, Seaside Reef and the NSSA staff for assisting us in staging a professional quality event for the prestigious Southwest Open Season series.
The NSSA Southwest Conference is proud to have support from Body Glove, Huntington Surf and Sport, Java Point, Surfing Magazine, Sex Wax, Scosche and Channel Islands.
1. Jordy Collins-Carlsbad 16.90
2. Kade Matson-San Clemente 15.50
3. Nathan Carraba-San Clemente 11.97
4. Austin Neumann-Pismo Beach 9.66
1. Kade Matson-San Clemente 13.97
2. Jett Schilling-San Clemente 11.90
3. Micah Crozier-Encinitas 9.57
4. Sebastian Mendes-San Clemente 9.37
1. Levi Slawson-Encinitas 15.00
2. Jett Schilling-San Clemente 14.46
3. Dane Matson-San Clemente 12.40
4. Taj Lindblad-San Clemente 10.50
OPEN MINI GROMS
1. Lucas Owston-Oceanside 13.36
2. Hayden Rodgers-Laguna Beach 11.90
3. Cole McCaffray-Cardiff 10.27
4. Luke Butterfield-Encinitas 7.57
1. Tiare Thompson-La Jolla 10.70
2. Malia Osterkamp-San Clemente 9.24
3. Samantha Sibley-San Clemente 8.23
4. Steffi Kerson-Ventura 5.36
1. Rachel Presti-Melbourne Beach, Fl 14.70
2. Kirra Pinkerton-San Clemente 12.60
3. Samantha Sibley-San Clemente 11.70
4. Ella McCaffray-Cardiff 8.27
PERFORMERS OF THE EVENT
Kade Matson: the 13-year-old from San Clemente continues to be a competitive powerhouse in his own age bracket in Open Juniors (15 & under) and the premier Open Mens (16 & up). He claimed his first win of the season in the Juniors and backed it up with an impressive runner up finish in the Mens.
Tiare Thompson: the 14-year-old from La Jolla has been a dominant force in the Open Womens putting together a string of three consecutive victories remaining undefeated so far this season.