2016 Oakley Surf Shop Challenge
Oakley Surf Shop Challenge
Jennette’s Pier, Nags Head North Carolina
1- 12 April, 2016
Mid-Atlantic leg of the series to stop at Jennette's Pier
Surfersvillage Global Surf News, 10 April, 2016 - The 2016 Oakley Surf Shop Challenge hits the East Coast next week with the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast stops of the seven-event regional qualifying series. The Mid-Atlantic qualifier will run on Monday, April 11th at Jennette’s Pier, Nags Head, North Carolina. The Northeast qualifier is slated to run at Manasquan Inlet, New Jersey on the day with the best conditions as predicted by Contest Forecaster Surfline.com, on either Thursday, April 14th or Friday, April 15th.
According to Surfline.com, Nags Head will see some leftover NNE windswell on Monday in the one-to-three-foot range with a few bigger sets possible early before the surf drops into the afternoon. Conditions look best in the morning too before sideshore winds increase in the afternoon. Surfline.com and contest organizers are still watching the forecast for the Northeast event and will make the call on which day to run early next week.
The unique event series pits four-man surf shop teams (two shop pros and two shop employees) against each other. The winning team from each of the seven regional qualifiers will win an all-expense-paid trip to Southern California to compete in the National Championship for a $5,000 prize purse, grand prize trip to the 2016 SURFER Poll at Turtle Bay on the North Shore of Hawaii and title of America’s Most Core Surf Shop.
This year’s invited Mid-Atlantic teams include:
• 17th Street Surf Shop
• Annex Surf Supply
• Coastal Edge (Kill Devil Hills)
• Coastal Edge (Virginia Beach)
• Duck Village Outfitters
• Outer Banks Boarding Company
• Parrot Surf Shop
• Real Water Sports
• Surf and Adventure Co.
• Surf City Surf Shop
• Sweetwater Surf Shop
• Wave Riding Vehicles (Kitty Hawk)
• Wave Riding Vehicles (Virginia Beach)
• Whalebone Surf Shop
This year’s invited Northeast teams include:
• 7th Street Surf Shop
• Air and Speed Surf Shop
• Billabong Shrewsbury
• Boarding House
• Brave New World
• Elemental Surf and Skate
• Farias Surf Sport (1)
• Farias Surf Sport (2)
• Flying Point Surf and Skate
• Heritage Surf & Sport (Margate)
• Heritage Surf & Sport (Ocean City)
• Heritage Surf & Sport (Sea Isle City)
• Inlet Outlet Surf Shop
• Jersey Devil Surf LLC
• Liquid Dreams
• Ocean Hut Surf Shop
• Spellbinders Surf Shop
• Summer Sessions
• Suncatcher Surf Shop
• Surfer's Supplies
• Warm Winds
The 2016 Oakley Surf Shop Challenge schedule:
• March 25 – Southwest – Seaside Reef, Cardiff, Calif.
• April 11/12 – Mid-Atlantic – Nags Head, Outer Banks, NC
• April 14/15 – Northeast – Manasquan Inlet, NJ
• April 18/19 – Southeast – Paradise Beach Park, Melbourne, Fla.
• May 26/27 – Northwest – Pleasure Point, Santa Cruz, Calif.
• June 3 – West – 54th or 56th Street – Newport Beach, Calif.
• July 7/8 – Hawaii – Ala Moana Bowls, South Shore, Haw.
• Fall 2016 – National Championship – Southern California