After five attacks Aussies decide to kill sharks
Western Australia to kill any great whites seen near beachgoers
Surfersvillage Global Surf News, 27 September, 2012 : - - The government of Western Australia has said it plans to track, catch and if necessary kill sharks threatening beachgoers after a record five fatal attacks in the state in the past year. Officials will be allowed to destroy sharks “posing an imminent threat,” Fisheries Minister Norman Moore said in an e- mailed statement today as he announced a A$6.85 million protection, research and education program.
Previously the state only issued kill orders following a shark attack. The most recent attack saw a 24-year-old surfer taken by a five-meter great white shark on July 14 off an isolated beach about 160 kilometers north of Perth. There have been at least 869 shark attacks in the nation since 1791, 216 of them fatal, according to the Australian Shark Attack File based at Sydney’s Taronga Zoo. The deaths in Western Australia in the past year include an American scuba-diving tourist, a body boarder and a swimmer at Perth’s Cottesloe Beach.
Other measures announced by the government include shark tagging, helicopter patrols, new jet skis to boost beach safety and a smartphone application to alert beachgoers of potential threats.
Read the full article by Jason Scott at Businessweek
Source: Bloomberg Businessweek
Author: Jason Scott
Tags: Perth, Western Australia, Fatal Shark Attacks