Wahu Surfer Groms, Coffs Harbour results
Wahu Surfer Groms
Coffs Harbour scores perfect waves for the finals.
Surfersvillage Global Surf News, 21 October, 2012 : - - Coffs Harbour - Offshore winds and a perfect swell direction helped create an ideal atmosphere for the final day of the Wahu Surfer Groms Comp at Diggers Beach, Coffs Harbour on Sunday. With a truckload of Wahu prizes and bragging rights on the line, grommets wasted no time attacking the fun little peaks with style and stoke.
Surfing NSW head judge Nick Pearson said: “The level of surfing we’re seeing from some of these kids at the Wahu Surfer Groms Comps is just incredible. The yardstick continues to be raised with each event and it’s a joy to watch.”
Locky Grange was unstoppable in the under-15 boys final locking in a solid heat total of 16.50. The powerful natural footer had his fellow competitors chasing a combination of scores to usurp him from the top tier position. When the final hooter sounded Robbie Pugh finished in second, Banjo Hunt in third and Alex Hayes in fourth.
The under-15s girls final was full of excitement from start to finish. Alyssa Lock seemed destined to take the win until she scored an interference in the final minute of the heat. Consequently, the first-place baton was passed on to Kiani Dobbyn to take the win with Alyssa moving back down to second, Bodhi Leigh Jones finished in third and Isabella Wilton landed in fourth.
Caleb Tancred never looked like slowing down from the moment he surfed his first heat in the under-13s. The Avoca surfer continued to build momentum throughout the event and into the final where he threw down a flurry of big maneuvers to score a 7.67 and a 6.33 and take first place.
Alyssa Lock added another feather to her cap, bagging a convincing win in the under-13s division. The Tweed Heads surfer attacked a variety of punchy lefts and rights to steal the win from Bodhi Leigh Jones, Sienna Coulter, Chelsea Green and Maddison Poole. This victory in the Wahu Surfer Groms Comp is Alyssa’s third major contest win in the last month, having previously won BL’s Blast Off at Avalon and the Rip Curl GromSearch at Cronulla.
Both Alyssa and Caleb have won an invite to attend an all-expenses paid, three-day Wahu Surf Camp at the Hurley Surfing Australia High Performance Centre on March 8-10, 2013.
Josh Grange surfed beyond his years in the under-11s boys division locking in a copious amount of high scores for critical moves. The Burleigh Heads surfer scored a heat total of 12.34 for two excellent waves.
Avalon’s Cedar Leigh-Jones won both the under-11s and under-9s girls divisions after performing a batch of high-speed carves and snaps. In the under 9s, Cedar opted to surf without parental assistance and charge the surf on her own.
The under-7s mixed division was a straight-out two-horse race between Ruben Shanahan and Joel Emery. However, in the end it was Ruben who finished first and Joel Emery finishing in second.
2012 is the first year the Wahu Surfer Groms Comp has been held at Coffs Harbour.
Divisions for Wahu Surfer Groms Comps include: U/15 Boys and U/15 Girls, U/13 Boys and U/13 Girls, U/11 Boys and U/11 Girls, U/9 Boys and U/9 Girls (Parent assist) and U/7 Boys and Girls mixed division (Parent assist).
Under 15 Boys
1. Locky Grange (Burleigh Heads, Qld)
2. Robbie Pugh (Crescent Head, NSW)
3. Banjo Hunt (Wallabi Point, NSW)
4. Alex Hayes (Clontarf, NSW)
Under 15 Girls
1. Kiani Dobbyn (Palm Beach, Qld)
2. Alyssa Lock (Tweed Heads, NSW)
3. Bodhi Leigh Jones (Avalon, NSW)
4. Isabella Wilton (Manly, NSW)
Under 13 Boys
1. Caleb Tancred (Avoca, NSW)
2. Connor Lee (Redhead, NSW)
3. Kai Dobbyn (Palm Beach, Qld)
4. Samuel Browne (Mullaway, NSW)
Under 13 Girls
1. Alyssa Lock (Tweed Heads, NSW)
2. Bodhi Leigh Jones (Avalon, NSW)
3. Sienna Coulter (Balgowlah, NSW)
4. Chelsea Green (Taree, NSW)
5. Maddison Poole (Lambton, NSW)
Under 11 Boys
1. Josh Grange (Burleigh Heads, Qld)
2. Ethan Stocks (Korora, NSW)
3. Finn Hill (Avoca, NSW)
4. Dave Pullinger (Cabarita, NSW)
Under 11 Girls
1. Cedar Leigh Jones (Avalon, NSW)
2. Zahli Kelly (Wooloowin, Qld)
3. Brodi Crook (Pottsville, NSW)
4. Lilly Harris (Tucabia, NSW)
Under 9 Boys
1. Tane Dobbyn (Palm Beach, Qld)
2. Rino Lindsay (Sapphire Beach, NSW)
3. Jesse Parkinson (Yaroomba, Qld)
4. Masa Leishman (Byron Bay, NSW)
Under 9 Girls
1. Cedar Leigh-Jones (Avalon, NSW)
2. Lucy Green (Taree, NSW)
3. Logan Dalton (Bar Beach, NSW)
4. Delta Woods (Moonee Beach, NSW)
5. Bella Morrison (Coffs Harbour, NSW)
6. Domino Holland (Kingscliff, NSW)
Under 7 Mixed
1. Ruben Shanahan (Wooli, NSW)
2. Joel Emery (Wooloweyeah, NSW)
Wahu Surfer Groms Comps National Event Dates & Locations:
Event 1 - October 20-21, 2012 - Coffs Harbour, NSW
Event 2 - November 3-4, 2012 - Northern Beaches, NSW
Event 3 - November 10-11, 2012 - Ocean Grove, VIC
Event 4 - November 24-25, 2012 - Trigg Point, WA
Event 5 - December 8-9, 2012 - Gold Coast, QLD
Event 6 - December 15-16, 2012 - Cronulla, NSW
Event 7 - January 8-9, 2012 - Sunshine Coast, QLD
Event 8 - February 2-3, 2011 - Wollongong, NSW
Source: Surfing NSW
Author: Ethan Smith
Tags: Wahu Surfer Groms, Josh Granger,