NSSA Southwest Conference Event #5
National Scholastic Surfing Association
Church, San Onofre State Beach, California
7 - 8 November 2015
Southwest and northwest swell combo produces good chest to head-high rights
Surfersvillage Global Surf News, 11 November, 2015 - The Southwest Conference Open Season held the fifth event of the 2015-16 season November 7-8 at Church beach in the San Onofre State Park. Jake Marshall dominated the field in the Mens division winning every heat en route to his first victory of the 2015/16 season.
With poise under pressure, Marshall put forth some late heat heroics in the final as he got off to a slow start without catching a wave until the 8-minute mark. With impressive competitive savvy, he got himself into sync laying down the hammer on a couple nice lined up rights taking the win with solid wave scores of 7.67 and 7.53. He also posted the event's highest total score of 18.66 out of 20 in his round 2 heat.
Other winners included Japan's Arashi Murata who took an impressive victory in a stacked Juniors final featuring rankings leader Kade Matson and 2015 National Champions Nick Marshall and Eithan Osborne. Jett Schilling sealed his fourth win of the season in the Open Boys while Hayden Rodgers is on a roll in the Mini Groms claiming back-to-back wins.
In the female categories, Bethany Zelasko surfed a strong final in the Open Womens taking her first win of the season with solid wave scores of 7.60 and 7.20. Local gal Kirra Pinkerton, put forth an standout display of surfing at Church collecting her second win of the season in the Girls 14 & under category while also making the Open Womens final. The victory in the Girls will strengthen Pinkerton's lead in the rankings.
The Southwest Conference Open Season is regarded as the leading competition for west coast surfers. Divisions are offered in Men's, Juniors, Boys, Mini Groms, Womens and Girls. This event was the fifth of 10 events in the Southwest Conference Open Season series. The NSSA Open Season is open to student surfers only.
Many thanks to the State of California and peace officers and lifeguards, Church and the NSSA staff for assisting us in staging a professional quality event for the prestigious Southwest Open Season series.
The NSSA Southwest Conference is proud to have support from Body Glove, Huntington Surf and Sport, Java Point, Surfing Magazine, Sex Wax, Scosche and Channel Islands.
1. Jake Marshall-Encinitas 15.20
2. Kei Kobayashi-San Clemente 14.13
3. Kade Matson-San Clemente 14.07
4. Eithan Osborne-Ventura 11.90
1. Arashi Murata-Japan 16.40
2. Nick Marshall-Encinitas 13.90
3. Kade Matson-San Clemente 12.94
4. Eithan Osborne-Ventura 11.50
1. Jett Schilling-San Clemente 14.50
2. Taj Lindblad-San Clemente 12.70
3. Levi Slawson-Encinitas 10.33
4. Connor Marshall-Encinitas 8.20
OPEN MINI GROMS
1. Hayden Rodgers-Laguna Beach 14.00
2. Dane Matson-San Clemente 11.20
3. Jake Chandler-Pacific Palisades 10.40
4. Cole McCaffray-Cardiff 9.44
1. Bethany Zelasko-Dana Point 14,80
2. Alyssa Spencer-Carlsbad 12.03
3. Malia Osterkamp-San Clemente 12.00
4. Kirra Pinkerton-San Clemente 10.96
1. Kirra Pinkerton-San Clemente 13.67
2. Alyssa Spencer-Carlsbad 13.00
3. Olivia Pessanha-San Diego 9.26
4. Samantha Sibley-San Clemente 8.33
PERFORMER OF THE EVENT
Jake Marshall: With unbreakable focus and competitive prowess, Marshall dropped two solid wave scores of 7.67 and 7.53 to take the Men's victory after going wave starved in the first 12-minutes of the 20 minute final. He didn't drop a heat in the contest and also posted the event's highest total score of 18.66 out of 20 in Mens round 2.