SunSmart WA Bodyboard Titles event #1
Surfing Western Australia
Yallingup, Western Australia
7 - 8 March 2015
Kyle Ward wins the Open Men's division
Surfersvillage Global Surf News, 8 March, 2015 - Yallingup - An impressive filed of WA's most experienced and exciting bodyboarders relished the powerful and punchy surf off Yallingup at the opening event of the SunSmart WA Bodyboard Titles presented by Good Earth Surf.
The picturesque and surf-rich south-west coastline provided the perfect high performance playground for close to 70 competitors, who made the most of two excellent locations as champions were crowned across eight divisions.
"We were lucky enough to utilise a couple of great spots this weekend which served up a real test for our competitors," said Surfing WA Events Manager Justin Majeks. "A shallow reef break day-one, then an open beach which was a bit of swell magnet for today's finals."
Riders who could best adapted to the varying conditions eventually prevailed on top. Some exceptional individual performances highlighted an action packed opening round of the three event series.
The blue ribbon Open Men's final produced a surprise winner, with Joondalup's Kyle Ward defeating a highly decorated filed in a 25 minute match-up. Ward proved he can mix it with the best of them, defeating current Open Men's National Champion Ben Veitch (Margaret River), international phenomenon Lewy Finnegan (Ocean Reef) and former WA State Champion Jake Metcalfe (City Beach).
Ward's committed outside manoeuvres combined with his smooth flowing style, saw him lock in a heat high 9.07 (from a possible 10) and backed it up with a 7.77 to take a confidence building win.
"This is the biggest win I think I've ever had," said Ward. "I set myself a goal to try and win a State Title event this year, so to do it in front of the boys in the final means a lot."
Ben Veitch (Margaret River) bounced back from the Open Men's final to win the Over-24 Senior Men's division. Veitch's consistency was rewarded with the win ahead of Jacob Cross (Clarkson), Mark Clark (Burekup) and Brendan Gabel (South Perth).
"I really love competing and hanging out at theses events," said Veitch. "The waves have been fun and that's all you can ask for at an event."
Local bodyboarding legend Joe Jordanoff (Dunsborough) added another win to his triumphant record, taking out the Drop Knee division in style.
Jordanoff holds 4x Australian Titles and a staggering 10x WA State Titles, showed his class defeating Kim Feast (Gracetown), Rory Nelson (Geraldton) and Mark Boehm (Marangaroo).
"I've just had a baby boy and nothing can compare to that feeling," Jordanoff said. "I've been competing in these event for as long as I can remember and it's great to still be mixing it up with these guys beside me."
Albany's Noah Symmans saved his best until last to win the hotly contested Under-18 Junior Boys division. Symmans' scored a 7.5 and a 7.33 on his final two waves to finish on a combined 14.83 (from a possible 20), defeating Lachie Breakey (Dunsborough), Josh Peters (Duncraig) and Michael Sumner (Marmion).
Mandurah's Henry Gibson won a tight Under-16 Cadet Boys final, rolling and spin his way to first place ahead of Brad Harrington (Singleton), and Geraldton duo Lachlan Hearne and Tom Todaro. "It's been great to watch some of the older guys like Lewy and Davis compete this weekend," said Gibson. "I'm stoked to take the win today."
Other winners from the weekend included; Lee Wilson (Margaret River) in the Under-21 Pro Junior division, Dan Donovan (Scarborough) in the Under-14 Grommets division, while Michael Steele (Bunbury) took out the Over-35 Masters division.
After an exciting opening event, attention now turns to the next stop on the SunSmart WA Bodyboard Titles which will head to Mandurah in May and Scarborough in June, before National Titles in August.
1. Kyle Ward (Joondalup) 16.84pts $200, 2. Ben Veitch (Margaret River) 16.30pts $150, 3. Lewy Finnegan (Ocean Reef) 15.26pts, $100, 4. Jake Metcalfe (City Beach) 14.64pts, $50.
1. Joe Jordanoff (Dunsborough) 12.67pts, 2. Kim Feast (Gracetown) 9.10pts, 3. Rory Nelson (Geraldton) 7.76pts, 4. Mark Boehm (Marangaroo) 4.17pts.
Under 14 Groms:
1. Dan Donovan (Scarborough) 9.87pts, 2. Ben Vigors (Geraldton) 7.50pts.
Under 16 Cadet Boys:
1. Henry Gibson (Mandurah) 11.17pts, 2. Brad Harrington (Singleton) 8.66ts, 3. Lachlan Hearne (Geraldton) 8.16pts, 4. Tom Todaro (Geraldton) 8.05pts.
Under 18 Junior Men:
1. Noah Symmans (Albany) 14.83pts, 2. Lachy Breaky (Dunbsorough) 12.33pts, 3. Josh Peters (Duncraig) 11.33pts, 4. Mark Sumner (Marmion) 5.68pts.
Under 21 Pro Junior:
1. Lee Wilson (Margaret River) 15.50pts, 2. Lachie Breaky (Dunsborough) 11.53pts, 3. Daniel Steel (Yanchep) 10.94pts, 4. Finn Haslau (Margaret River) 10.83pts.
Over 24 Senior Men:
1. Ben Veitch (Margaret River) 14.33pts, 2. Jacob Cross (Clarkson) 10.16pts, 3. Mark Clark (Burekup) 9.84pts, 4. Brendan Gabel (South Perth) 5.76ptsd.
Over 35 Masters Men:
1. Michael Steele (Bunbury) 9.93pts, 2. Nathan Lotze (Dunsborough) 8.67pts, 3. Darren Hotker (Bunbury) 2.83pts.
The 2015 SunSmart WA Bodyboard Titles proudly presented by Good Earth Surf
Supported by Found Boards, Axiom, Reeflex Wetsuits, Healthway, Creatures of Leisure and Surfing Western Australia.