U.S. Open of Surfing Updates
Gone will be the live concerts, “dust bowl,” carnival elements and so many freebies
Surfersvillage Global Surf News, 11 October, 2013 : - - Huntington Beach - The U.S. Open of Surfing will be scaled back next year in response to the melee that erupted on Main Street after the close of this year’s event, resulting in thousands of dollars in property damage and city money spent on cleanup.
James Leitz, senior vice president of IMG, the company that has put on the world-renowned surfing event since 2001, gave a presentation Thursday night at the Huntington Beach Downtown Task Force meeting that showed plans for a significantly reduced event. “We’re going to bring a sport focus back to the forefront,” Leitz said. “We’re going to bring back the elements that attract the right type of crowd and eliminate the elements that attract the wrong type of crowd.”
There will be no more live concerts, no “dust bowl,” no carnival elements, reduced vendors and no passing out freebies, according to the plans. Next year’s event, which will celebrate 100 years of surfing in Huntington Beach, will include grandstands for watching the surfing, a skate bowl for professional BMX and skateboarding competitions, a retail area, and a few booths for the event’s major sponsors, Leitz said.
IMG also wants to expand security, cleanup and code enforcement beyond the venue on the beach to include downtown and surrounding neighborhoods.
Cypress-based Vans came on as a sponsor for the first time last year, and signed a three-year agreement with IMG to be the title sponsor.
Read the full article at OC Register
Source: OC Register
Authors: Jaimee Lynn Fletcher and Laylan Connelly
Tags: US Open of Surfing, Huntington Beach, Riots